All members of and visitors to the University community share the responsibility to provide and maintain a safe working, teaching, and learning environment and to reduce or eliminate known hazards. Student employees are required to adhere to the below rules as part of their employment. However, all students should exercise appropriate care to ensure the safety of themselves and others. To assure your safety while living, attending classes, or working at UNC Charlotte, you should:
- Review and adhere to all environmental health and safety requirements, policies, training, and instructions.
- Seek safety information before performing any new or unfamiliar job task.
- Wear required personal protective equipment (i.e. closed-toe shoes, gloves, safety goggles) as required by your instructor, supervisor, or environmental conditions.
- Report hazards (i.e. frayed electrical cord) to instructors, supervisors or EHS Office.
- Take action to avoid, eliminate or minimize unsafe behaviors and hazards.
- Know first aid procedures; how to obtain treatment, location of first aid kits and operation of emergency equipment (i.e. deluge showers, eyewashes, fire alarms).
- Report all incidents and injuries to instructors or supervisors. For serious injuries or a life-threatening emergency, contact Police and Public Safety from campus phone 911 or cell phone 704-687-2200.
- When questions or concerns arise, ask your instructor or supervisor, or call the appropriate university department for additional assistance.