The University of North Carolina at Charlotte is committed to providing a safe and healthy working, teaching, learning, and living environment for all members of and visitors to the University community. This commitment involves the creation of an atmosphere of safety and environmental health awareness through training and faculty, staff, and student involvement. The University is also committed to voluntary compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local safety, health, and environmental regulations and codes as an integral part of our total management process.
All members of the University community share the responsibility for this program and for the identification and elimination of known hazards. The full cooperation of each individual is required to preserve the safety and health of self and others. The following principles form the foundation for our approach to Safety and Environmental Health:
- Each University employee is responsible for Safety and Environmental Health and for compliance with applicable University policies, procedures, and programs.
- The University shall provide the necessary resources and training to meet safety, environmental health, and regulatory compliance objectives.
- The University shall identify work place and job performance safety and environmental health deficiencies and take corrective action.
- The University shall investigate accidents and incidents as part of a comprehensive accident prevention program.
- The University shall require contractors to abide by applicable University regulations and maintain the same safety and environmental health standards as required for University employees.
- The University shall promote safety and environmental health through the development and support of safety committees appointed to address specific needs of the University community.
To ensure compliance with occupational regulations and manage hazards that pose a risk to people, property and the environment.
To support and empower the campus community to proactively integrate environmental, health and safety principles into teaching, research and service activities.
- Communication – Actively informing customers about EHS services and regulatory compliance.
- Collaboration – Working as a team to provide the most practical comprehensive environmental, health and safety solution.
- Commitment –Dedicated to reflecting the positive actions, attitudes and behaviors of a proactive safety culture.