Who should I call in the event of a fire?
If there is a fire, call 911 from a campus phone or 704-687-2200 from a cell phone.

Can I use the elevator during a building fire emergency evacuation?
No. Elevators shall not be used by building occupants during a building fire emergency evacuation.

Where is my designated exterior assembly point?
Building evacuation exterior assembly points can be found on the Fire & Life Safety webpage.

Hazard and Incident Reporting

What should I do if I notice a safety hazard on campus?
If you recognize a hazard or unsafe condition, you should report it to your supervisor or to the Environmental Health and Safety Office. Click the Reporting Safety Hazards tab to submit an email or call our office at 704-687-1111.

How do I report an incident that resulted in an occupational injury?
Report occupational injuries to your supervisor immediately by using the Employee Incident Report Form.

Where do I go for occupational injury medical treatment?
If your injury requires medical attention, seek treatment at one of the Medical Providers Authorized for Work-Related Injuries. The Student Health Center on campus is the primary point of initial medical treatment for non-life threatening injuries. You must take the completed Employee Incident Report form with you to the authorized treating provider; your supervisor's signature on the Employee Incident Report form serves as an authorization for you initial treatment.


What are the safety training requirements?
Safety training is required based upon your work environment. EHS has outlined these requirements on the Training Registration webpage located under the Training tab.

How do I register for safety training?
Many training courses are available in classroom and online. Contact EHS for classroom registration or click on the appropriate online training module for your environment on the Training Registration webpage.

Office Safety

Is the air quality in my office safe?
Yes. Building indoor air quality is assessed on a regular basis.

Is my computer workstation safe?
Review the Office Ergonomics Fact Sheet to perform a self-evaluation of your office workstation.

Does EHS pay for new office equipment?
EHS does not purchase any equipment for departments on campus. Equipment purchase is up to the discretion of your department.

Can I use a space heater in my office?
The Environmental Health and Safety Office must approve the use of space heaters. The Space Heaters Fact Sheet provides detailed infromation regarding the approval and use of space heaters.

Building Safety

Are buildings inspected?
Yes. Buildings are routinely inspected by EHS for unsafe conditions and code violations.

Can I use an extension cord?
You are not allowed to use "household use only" extension cords on campus or any extension cord in place of permanent electrical wiring. Therefore, heavy duty extension cords are allowed for temporary purposes, such as accommodating the wiring needs of a meeting or setting up special lighting for a couple of hours.

Can I store combustible or flammable materials in a mechanical room?
No. Storing combustible or flammable materials in mechanical rooms is prohibited.

Can I store materials in hallways or in stairwells?
No. Storing materials in hallways or in stairwells is prohibited.

Is it okay to leave stairwell doors propped open?
No. Stairwell doors should never be propped open, unless they are interconnected to the fire alarm system.

Laboratory Safety

Who certifies laboratory chemical fume hoods?
EHS inspects and certifies chemical hoods on an annual basis or upon request.

How do I obtain laboratory hazard warning signage?
EHS manages the laboratory hazard warning signage program. Contact EHS for additional signage.

How do I dispose of hazardous chemical waste?
Complete the Hazardous Waste Disposal form and submit to EHS.

How do I know I am wearing the minimum required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) before entering a laboratory space?
Review the hazard warning signage posted at the entrance of the laboratory. If there is no PPE requirements listed, you can enter unless otherwise instructed.

Can I eat or drink in laboratory?
No. It is strictly prohibited to eat or drink in laboratories. The storage of food and drink in laboratories is also strictly prohibited.

Special Events and Decorations

Do I need to complete safety permits prior to scheduling an event?
Safety permits are required for various types of events. In most instances, contacting EHS 30 days prior to your event will ensure all safety permits are submitted and approved in a timely manner.

Are burning candles and incense allowed in buildings?
EHS must approve the use of candles or incense in university buildings. In most instances, burning candles is not permitted in university buildings.

Are fireworks permitted on campus?
There is a general prohibition on fireworks on campus, which means you are not allowed to use sparklers or similar devices anywhere on campus. Fireworks are only permitted for special events when the location and use has been approved by EHS.